lunes, 31 de agosto de 2026

On Matt Wagner’s ‘Grendel’ (a translation) (01)

This is my translation of the original text written in Spanish by Norman Fernández for a catalog published in 2001. I was asked by Matt Wagner to translate that essay to English. 25 years have passed by since I wrote this version. As far as I know, my text hasn’t been published so I have decided to blog it.

Thank you for your attention, kind reader!

 

First Chapter

The Gospel According to Grendel (I)

 

     Trying to find out how did Grendel’s concept break out isn’t an easy task.

The character’s first story was written and drawn by Matt Wagner in 1982, and it was published on a magazine called Comico Primer, which was printed by Comico Comics. 


The story showed the adventures of a man dressed in black who was trying to murder –without any special reason– the Chairman of the Local Council, Everett Christie, and who even dared to call the police before committing his crime, in order to boast about the murder he was about to make. 

 

 

Hunter Rose, apparently a millionaire and capricious writer, was the man behind the mask and that murder. His crime would propitiate his fighting against his nemesis, Argent, The Wolf.

        This ten-page narration, which appeared on Comico Primer # 2, is not only the introduction of the character, but also Matt’s first comic work ever published. Nowadays it is a collector’s item, being its price fifty times the one that appeared originally on its cover.

 

Next 

Entradas populares

LibrElena - Blog de Nino y Nino Ortea.

El contenido literario de este blog está registrado en Safe Creative